Thread: Which gun is the right gun?

TGC - Newbie
    Level completed: 16%, Points required for next Level: 84
    Overall activity: 0%
    Level

Which gun is the right gun?

I'm looking for a pistol for my wife's first gun but I'm on a tight budget, also I was wondering 380 or 9mm?

TGC Site Owner
    Level completed: 49%, Points required for next Level: 568
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsOverdriveTagger First ClassCreated Album picturesCreated Blog entry
    Level
    Blog Entries
    I don't think there is a single right gun for everyone. The right gun for your wife probably would not be the right gun for you. All depends on the size and strength of her hands, how sensitive she is to recoil, how often she might practice, and a lot of other things.

Over the years I have taken home several guns I thought my wife would love but she didn't. Some she said just didn't fit her hand, or the finger grooves were in the wrong place, or the trigger was too far forward, etc. They all felt fine to me.

My wife does not pay much attention to moderate recoil but some people I have taught were very sensitive to it. If your wife has no shooting experience, recoil could be an issue. In general, the heavier the gun in any caliber the less the felt recoil.

Some pistols have slides that are too difficult for my wife to operate. Generally, it is the smallest frame 9mm handguns that are in this category because they have stronger recoil springs. But even some 380's are difficult too. They may be small and cute and actually fit her hand but they won't get used.

From my experience, I would suggest you and your wife go to several gun stores and let her try on several for size. Don't buy the first one, look around a little. Ask questions and compare. If money is tight you may find a good used one.

(And, don't rule out a good 38 cal revolver. There are lots of used ones around and they are really, really simple to operate.)
    "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." -- The United States Constitution, Amendment 2, Ratified Dec. 15, 1791

TGC - Senior Member
    Level completed: 84%, Points required for next Level: 100
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassVeteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    I would look for a range that rents guns and let her try a few, so not only will she see how it feels in her hand, she will also see how it feels shooting them. Because some shoot better than others, and some like different guns for different reasons it's best to shoot a few before getting a "first" gun.
    Because Freedom Isn't Free...Airborne!