Thread: Trailer Backing for Wimps?

TGC Site Owner
    Level completed: 33%, Points required for next Level: 737
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsOverdriveTagger First ClassCreated Album picturesCreated Blog entry
    Level
    Blog Entries

Trailer Backing for Wimps?

Ford is going to build in a rear view camera and computer to help people who cannot back a trailer. Even in the last part of the video I can see problems with the front end of the truck swinging wider than it should. Maybe it will eventually get better but I wonder if it would ever really be worth the expense. I don't think it would be for me, but maybe for some people I can think of.

New Truck Feature Makes the ‘Tension-Filled Ordeal’ of Backing Up With a Trailer So Much Easier
    May. 21, 2015 11:32am

Read more and see video here:
    http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2015...o-much-easier/

Here is Ford's press release and a slicker video:
    https://media.ford.com/content/fordm...akes-back.html
    "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." -- The United States Constitution, Amendment 2, Ratified Dec. 15, 1791

TGC - Senior Member
    Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 518
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    I have to say there are a boatload of things I've done in life that were far more enjoyable then backing up a trailer.Just sayin'lol

TGC - Super Moderator
    Level completed: 91%, Points required for next Level: 63
    Overall activity: 75.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveThree Friends5000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    I bought an old Kawasaki mule a month ago and when I went to look at it there was this long gravel driveway going up and around a ridge. I knew better but I started up the drive in my b3000 pu with a 5x10 trailer on it. of course about 500 feet up it dug in and sat there spinning. I had to back that darned thing back down with a big ditch on the hill side and a drop on the other. twice I had to get out and just muscle the trailer over when it got too close to the edge, I couldn't pull up from a stop to straighten it. well stupid me, I thought "if I get a good running shot" , so back up the hill I went flying. I made it about 10 feet farther. I just got out and walked the other half mile up to his house and bought the mule. luckily it ran just enough to ride back down, I rode it down past my truck in the ditch, then walked back up and backed my truck down AGAIN, this time due to experience I backed all the way without stopping. then loaded the mule at the bottom. I really need the camera.... or 4wd

TGC Site Owner
    Level completed: 33%, Points required for next Level: 737
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsOverdriveTagger First ClassCreated Album picturesCreated Blog entry
    Level
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by victory-rider View Post
    I bought an old Kawasaki mule a month ago and when I went to look at it there was this long gravel driveway going up and around a ridge. I knew better but I started up the drive in my b3000 pu with a 5x10 trailer on it. of course about 500 feet up it dug in and sat there spinning. I had to back that darned thing back down with a big ditch on the hill side and a drop on the other. twice I had to get out and just muscle the trailer over when it got too close to the edge, I couldn't pull up from a stop to straighten it. well stupid me, I thought "if I get a good running shot" , so back up the hill I went flying. I made it about 10 feet farther. I just got out and walked the other half mile up to his house and bought the mule. luckily it ran just enough to ride back down, I rode it down past my truck in the ditch, then walked back up and backed my truck down AGAIN, this time due to experience I backed all the way without stopping. then loaded the mule at the bottom. I really need the camera.... or 4wd
    Wish I had been there to see and hear that. Bet it would have been interesting.

And, you are right, if you had had 4wd you probably would not have needed the backup controller. I have had 4wd on each of my trucks since 1986 and will have as long as I can still afford it. Also have an old SUV with 4wd. Never know when it might come in handy. Good for mud, snow, gravel hills, or just pulling trees, everything except ice where nothing seems to help.
    "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." -- The United States Constitution, Amendment 2, Ratified Dec. 15, 1791

TGC - Senior Member
    Level completed: 84%, Points required for next Level: 100
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassVeteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by 45acp View Post
    Wish I had been there to see and hear that. Bet it would have been interesting.

And, you are right, if you had had 4wd you probably would not have needed the backup controller. I have had 4wd on each of my trucks since 1986 and will have as long as I can still afford it. Also have an old SUV with 4wd. Never know when it might come in handy. Good for mud, snow, gravel hills, or just pulling trees, everything except ice where nothing seems to help.
    I don't know, while the 4x4 would of made it to the top I don't think most 4x4s are good for backing up trailers. My GMC 1500 and my Sequoia both acted funny when I backed up the boat onto the boat ramp. It was much easier in 4x2 mode for some reason and only engaged the 4x4 when coming out of the water. I now have a Tacoma which is a bit better backing up but still can back up better when not locked in, specially on pavement since loose gravel is not much resistance.
    Because Freedom Isn't Free...Airborne!