Thread: Sounded Like a Small War Outside This Morning

TGC Site Owner
    Level completed: 33%, Points required for next Level: 737
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsOverdriveTagger First ClassCreated Album picturesCreated Blog entry
    Level
    Blog Entries

Sounded Like a Small War Outside This Morning

Obviously muzzleloader season opened today.

It has quietened down now but it sounded like a small war was going on around here earlier today. The hunters, or at least the blasters, were out in force.
    "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." -- The United States Constitution, Amendment 2, Ratified Dec. 15, 1791

TGC - Super Moderator
    Level completed: 91%, Points required for next Level: 63
    Overall activity: 75.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveThree Friends5000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    that's the way it is around here, but its pretty much year round, between all the different hunting seasons and all the guys that just shoot. some of them must have lasers because they do a lot of shooting late right before and after dark. the worst time is probably dove season though, especially when the corn field right across the road is harvested.

TGC Site Owner
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsOverdriveTagger First ClassCreated Album picturesCreated Blog entry
    Level
    Blog Entries
    Yeah there is a field across the road from me where the owner shoots sometimes. Maybe he was adding to the battle sounds yesterday. He doesn't live there so when he does come to shoot, he shoots a LOT. It doesn't bother me but it drives one of our dogs crazy.
    "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." -- The United States Constitution, Amendment 2, Ratified Dec. 15, 1791

TGC - Super Moderator
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by 45acp View Post
    Yeah there is a field across the road from me where the owner shoots sometimes. Maybe he was adding to the battle sounds yesterday. He doesn't live there so when he does come to shoot, he shoots a LOT. It doesn't bother me but it drives one of our dogs crazy.
    it scares my little dog, I have a little mutt that was dumped and came to the door 10 years ago that turned in to the best dog I have ever owned. every evening I play Frisbee with her and pet her, she will not eat till after she plays Frisbee, then expects her petting after eating, if someone shoots anywhere near she will go in her house and won't come out till long after it stops.

TGC - Senior Member
    Level completed: 54%, Points required for next Level: 233
    Overall activity: 33.0%
    Achievements:
    Created Album pictures1000 Experience Points1 year registeredThree Friends
    Level
    I quit BP season, last 15 years it's been in the 70's. I still love to shoot patched balls.... if they,made BP season, " Primitive " guns only, there wouldn't be so much blast'n . I had a Rem. 77 SS BP rifle, it was crazy accurate at 200 , with careful loading. You could also use " speed-loaders", and get off a pretty quick second shot. Sold it 3 yrs ago, kept my old mtn. rifle, love the smell of real BP !!!!! Oh... I had a little JR who was crazy about gun fire, would even try to jump up on the bench in front of the barrel, I really think he thought he could catch a bullet ! When pistol shooting he'd drive me crazy jumping up on my legs !!! He'd whimper and bark ! He loved it !

TGC Site Owner
    Achievements:
    Level
    Blog Entries
    Now here is a real interesting piece written by a local farmer on the subject of deer and turkey hunting. Here is a teaser but be sure to read the last few lines of his article:

Based on what I hear hunters say, deer hunting is a real challenging sport requiring a lot of high tech equipment, stealthy clothing, traveling long distances and sitting in a tree for long periods of time usually in the cold. See, I don't understand it. Don't get me wrong, I've got no problem with people who like to hunt, I just don't understand what the big challenge is....

Read more: Big Game Hunters

TGC - Senior Member
    Level completed: 64%, Points required for next Level: 144
    Overall activity: 99.7%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveRecommendation Second Class1000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Level
    Now thats funny right there and I grew up on a ranch very similar to that but we has about 2000 acres instead of 200. About 70% of the ranch was pasture land or river bottom which was also pasture. I did hunt as a kid growing up but it was not real hunting cause we had the same issue them man in the article mentioned. I could deer hunt from the front porch of the house or even from my upstairs bedroom window for deer and was just a short walk to the turkey territory but was never much into Turkey. We did a have a fair amount of standing timber also. The Harpeth River divided our property into two sections. I enjoyed small game hunting more than big game. I had about 3 beagles that dearly loved a good rabbit hunt and they were all good slow time trackers so seldom put a rabbit in a hole. I also had a bird dog and would quail hunt from dawn till dusk if I wanted to walk that much. I even had one old beagle hound that was not much for chasing rabbits but he would tree squirrels as fast as I could shoot them. My dad and mom liked small game meat better so that is what I hunted the most but would always put 1 buck a year in the freezer. While I was over seas my father developed a serious heart condition and could no longer ten the ranch properly and hired a few men but was never happy because he could not work the place so the year before I came home they sold it. I was still able to hunt because kin folks bought it but got married and had two boys and never had much time to hunt. Great memories though.........
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."
    I carry a gun cause a cop is too heavy.
    'Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who Do not.' ~ Thomas Jefferson

TGC Site Owner
    Achievements:
    Level
    Blog Entries
    First day of rifle season today but I have not heard a single shot around here. What's up??

It has been raining, so maybe all the local hunters are the fair-weather type. Or maybe they think they got all the deer a couple of weeks ago with their front loaders. They didn't. There were two bedded down in my neighbor's front yard within 25 yds of his front porch when we came home last night at 8:30.

Or, maybe the hunters just found something better to do today? I personally have to work on two leaf blowers because the cruddy gas clogs up the carbs in a hurry. Then I have to haul off some trash. If I have any time left I might swing by the tiny gun show in Lenoir City. But that will probably have to wait until tomorrow afternoon.

TGC - Super Moderator
    Achievements:
    Level
    I went up to the show this morning, they had a dozen or so dealers, and a few people there attending. it wasn't much but wasn't a complete waste of time either. plus its for a good cause anyway. I bought a couple pmags there for 14 apiece out the door.